Thursday, July 7, 2016

How to Make Nikujaga, A Traditional Japanese Stew

       Last week, I cooked nikujaga (肉じゃが), a traditional Japanese dish. As I mentioned in my previous entry, Most Popular Japanese Foods, nikujaga is very popular Japanese meat and potato stew. Niku (肉) means meat in Japanese. Russet potatoes are called jagaimo (じゃがいも) in Japanese, so meat and potatoes are essential ingredients for making nikujaga. It is seasoned with soy sauce and sugar, so it's savory and slightly sweet stew. Anyway, I'm going to share how to make nikujaga with you.   
Ingredients (6 Servings)
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
3 cloves of garlic (sliced)
1 lb of pork or beef (thinly sliced)
4 potatoes (cut into bite sizes)
1 carrot (cut into bite sizes)
1 pack of konjac noodles (rinse and cut into 2 inches)
1 onion (sliced)
2 tablespoons of sugar
2 tablespoons of mirin
3 tablespoons of soy sauce
1 cup of water
1 tablespoon of soy sauce (at the final step)


1. Heat oil and garlic in a large pan over high heat. Fry meat until it is thoroughly cooked.

2. Add potatoes, carrot and konjac noodles. Top with onion. Add sugar, mirin, soy sauce and water in it. Cover the lid and simmer them for 15 minutes.

3. Open the lid and stir them. Simmer over medium heat until water  has reduced almost completely.

4. Add soy sauce and stir them.

5. Serve and enjoy! 
 

     This is my entries related to my favorite recipes.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/recipes

      This is my entries related to cooking.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/cooking

     My entries related to Japan can be seen here.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/Japan

       These are my entries you might like.

■How to Make Tamago Kake Gohan - Raw Egg on Rice

■Top 10 Products You Should Buy at Japanese Supermarkets (for Beginners!)

■Top 10 Most Popular Japanese Foods

■My Top 15 Must Eat Foods in Japan - My Favorite Japanese Foods

■8 Interesting Japanese Kitchen Gadgets!


■My Top 10 Favorite Japanese Sweets

■How to Make Japanese Deep Fried Chicken, Kara-Age

■How to Cook Japanese Curry

■Top 5 Most Popular Japanese Curry Sauce Mix

■How to Cook Miso Soup

■How to Make Tamagoyaki, Japanese Omelette

■Top 10 Products You Should Buy at Daiso

2 comments:

  1. i'm commenting here again because i tried your nikujaga recipe and it was really delicious! it's better than the recipes i previously tried from other japanese bloggers.

    also i microwaved an egg according to the instructions you wrote on the post about Marutai Oita Torigara Shoyu Ramen. it turned out quite well and i'm so happy i can have this type of egg for my ramen.

    thank you for sharing your recipes and tips! please continue to do so. i really love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you for trying the recipes from my blog. :) I'll tell my husband that you tried cooking an egg for ramen. He will be happy to hear that.

      Delete