Monday, June 2, 2014

Memorial Day Travel - Part 4, Horseshoe Bend Overlook

      On May 25, my husband and I went to Horseshoe Bend, which is Colorado River in Glen Canyon, after exploring Lower Antelope Canyon. We were able to find a parking space easily in despite of so many tourists. There were the notices in the entrance of the trail.

     This had a Japanese translation in the bottom, but it didn't make any sense. It sometimes happens outside Japan.

     We started hiking on the sandy trail in desert. It was a little challenging to walk on the sands because I was already really tired from hiking in Antelope Canyon for two hours just before we came here. The sands got in my shoes, and my feet got a little heavy. It was about a 3/4 mile hike to arrive Horseshoe Bend Overlook. It was very hot in desert, so we hydrated ourselves by drinking plenty of water.


      As soon as we arrived at the edge of the cliff, I looked down to see Colorado River.

       I was amazed at how beautiful this views were. The river shaped like horseshoe just like its name. It was very beautiful crystal blue-green waters.
Horseshoe Bend

Horseshoe Bend

Horseshoe Bend

      There were no railing at the viewpoint. If you bring small children here, you need to watch them on your responsibility. It is a 1000 foot drop to the river below!
Horseshoe Bend

Horseshoe Bend Overlook

Horseshoe Bend Overlook

      I saw some blue and green rafts floating down the river. I noticed that the rafts were same type ones I saw at Glen Canyon Dam. Afterward, I knew that Colorado River Adventure Tour took tourist here from the dam. If I have a chance to go to Colorado River, I'd like to see Horseshoe Bend from the river next time. :)



      The views of Horseshoe Bend was beyond all my expectations. It is so beautiful, and this is one of must see places in your life!

     We needed to hike up and down on the sands again in order to go back parking lot, but it was really worth it after seeing such a beautiful view.



     I couldn't believe that watching this beautiful view was all free. You don't have to pay admission fee nor parking fee. :)

     I uploaded my Youtube video which I recorded that day.


 
Horseshoe Bend
Hwy 89 - Four Miles South of Page
Page, AZ 86040


Colorado River Discovery Tour
http://raftthecanyon.com/



     These are my entries related to this our Memorial Day travel.
Memorial Day Travel - Part 1, Headed toward St. George, Utah

Red Ginger in St. George, Utah

Motel 6 St. George, Utah - Review

Memorial Day Travel - Part 2, Carl Hayden Visitor Center & Glen Canyon Dam

Memorial Day Travel - Part 3, Lower Antelope Canyon

Memorial Day Travel - Part 4, Horseshoe Bend Overlook

Memorial Day Travel - Part 5, Grand Canyon Sunset

Memorial Day Travel - Part 6, Souvenir in Grand Canyon

Quality Inn Flagstaff - Review

Memorial Day Travel - Part 7, Mexican Restaurant, Los Altenos Restaurant

Memorial Day Travel - Part 8, Sedona, Driving in Smoke from the Wildfires

Memorial Day Travel - Part 9, Numerous Cacti in Arizona



No comments:

Post a Comment