Thursday, March 31, 2016

How To Make Savory Japanese Spinach Side Dish, Hourenso no Ohitashi

      Last night, I made this savory Japanese style spinach dish, hourenso no ohitashi. Hourenso (ほうれん草) means spinach in Japanese, and ohitashi (お浸し) is a Japanese side dish made of soy sauce and boiled leaf vegetable such as spinach. When my husband is on his business trip, he eats American dishes which are mostly made of meat and potatoes, and he ends up having skin troubles by eating too greasy foods. That's why I try to make Japanese vegetable dishes on the day before his leaving home. He flew to Texas for his business trip this morning. Anyway, I'm going to share the recipe with you. This ohitashi was not a traditional ohitashi. I microwaved spinach instead of boiling, and I added tuna for source of protein and additional flavor. :)
Hourenso no Ohitashi
     Ingredients (4 Servings)

1 bunch of spinach
1 can of tuna (squeeze tuna out of oil)
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
2 tablespoons of mirin
1 tablespoon of sesame oil

   

1. Cover the spinach with plastic food wrap, and microwave it for 1 minute.

2. Squeeze water out of the spinach.

3. Cut it into 1 and half inch length.

4. Mix tuna, soy sauce, mirin and sesame oil in a large bowl.

5. Toss spinach into them.

6. Enjoy!



       These are also my entries you might like.

■Top 10 Products You Should Buy at Japanese Supermarkets (for Beginners!)

■My Top 15 Must Eat Foods in Japan - My Favorite Japanese Foods

■Top 10 Most Popular Japanese Foods

■How to Make Japanese Deep Fried Chicken, Kara-Age

■How to Cook Japanese Curry

■How to Cook Miso Soup

■8 Interesting Japanese Kitchen Gadgets!

■My Top 10 Favorite Japanese Snacks

■My Top 10 Favorite Japanese Sweets


     This is my entries related to my favorite recipes.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/recipes

      This is my entries related to cooking.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/cooking

     My entries related to Japan can be seen here.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/Japan


No comments:

Post a Comment