Saturday, March 5, 2016

Japanese MD Player - My Tidying Marathon

     As I mentioned in my previous entries, I have been tidying my home since I started reading Marie Kondo's bestseller books, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up and Spark Joy. Last night, I was at my garage for tidying and found this portable MD player and MDs there! When I found them, they sparked joy! :)

        If you didn't live in Japan in 1990s and 2000s, you probably have no idea what MD is because MD made a limited impact outside Japan. According to Wikipedia, the MiniDisc (MD) is a magneto-optical disc-based data storage device offering a capacity of 74 minutes and, later, 80 minutes, of digitized audio or 1 gigabyte of Hi-MD data. The Sony brand audio players were on the market from September 1992 until March 2013. Actually, it was very popular in Japan in those days. I believe that many people in Japan had MD players such as a compact CD and MD player, a portable MD player and a car stereo with CD and MD player. Indeed, I had all three MD players and listened to music at home, in trains and my car. When I moved to U.S. in 2008, I was not able to bring my favorite compact MD player (which was over $1000 in Japan at that time!) because of its large size, but I brought this portable MD player and some MDs which had some of my favorite music. When my husband and I moved to our current apartment, we put them in our garage and totally forgot about that until yesterday!

       I used to have numerous MDs in Japan, but I brought only these 18 MDs, which were the best of the best for me, to the U.S.

       I was not sure if my MD player still worked, so I hooked it up to our Bose speakers.

        Actually, they played my favorite songs with no problem! Since yesterday, I have been listening to Japanese hit songs. These remind me of my life in Japan and really bring me joy! :)

    




      These are my entries you might like.

■The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up

■I Got the Konmari Book, Spark Joy! 

■My Tidying Marathon (Books) - Konmari Methods

■Marie Kondo Moved to the U.S.

■Marie Kondo's New Book : The Life-Changing Manga of Tidying Up


     My entries related to Konmari can be seen here.

     My entries related to Japan can be seen here.


No comments:

Post a Comment