Sunday, February 21, 2016

My Tidying Marathon - Konmari Methods

      After finishing reading the Marie Kondo's first book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, I started reading her second book, Spark Joy last week. As I read on the book, I decided to tidy up my home according the book. Most people usually tidy room by room, but she suggests tidying up by category.
Spark Joy
       Choosing clothes which brings me joy was pretty easy for me, and I actually enjoyed it. I was able to discard 6 bags of clothes which I wouldn't wear anymore.

       However, the book category was pretty hard for me. Even though I don't usually read books and think didn't have too many books, they were very heavy and definitely needed to reduce the volume. Most of my books were purchased in order to study ESL and to improve knowledge for my career. That's why my textbooks didn't spark joy. However, they were still valuable, so I decided to sell these textbooks. I also decided to sell the traveling guide book, which my husband and I read through before traveling the Big Island, Hawaii, last year. We think we will travel Hawaii again, but we don't know when we can go there and which Hawaiian island we will travel next. Actually, the Hawaiian book was sold two days later! :) Also, one of my ESL textbooks was sold next day. :))

       These are books which bring me joy for now, and I sometimes read them before going to sleep.

       These are my books I don't read now, but I would like to read this year.

      These were books I wouldn't read anymore and had very low value, so I've discarded them already. I had expected that I would be able to discard more books just like clothing category, but discarding books was pretty hard for me, and I was very tired when I finished it. It's probably because gathering all my books on the floors made my room cluttered temporary. As you might know, cluttered room makes us feel bad. :( Even though I was tidying my room, it looked more cluttered than before. She says tidying by category is tidying marathon. I understood what it really means. Tidying marathon is exhausting just like running marathon, but it has a goal, and I will eventually finish tidying marathon in the not-too-distant future. :)  I've already finished paper category, and I am trying komono category now.


     




      These are my entries you might like.

■The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up

■I Got the Konmari Book, Spark Joy! 

■Japanese MD Player - My Tidying Marathon

■Marie Kondo Moved to the U.S.

■Marie Kondo's New Book : The Life-Changing Manga of Tidying Up


     My entries related to Konmari can be seen here.

     My entries related to Japan can be seen here.


No comments:

Post a Comment