Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Kurogi Ofuji Festival in Yame Fukuoka, Japan - Beautiful Japanese Wisteria of Kurogi

     Yesterday, my parents and I went to Kurogi-machi to see Japanese wisteria of Kurogi. Because now is the perfect season of blooming of Japanese wisteria, the Kurogi Ofuji Festival is held there April 19th through beginning of May this year.

      Parking fee is usually 300 yen, but we were able to park there for free because my mother presented her physical disability certificate. There were some parking spaces for people with disabilities, and they were also offering wheelchair rental for free. :)

     As soon as we got out of our car, we were able to see beautiful pink carpet of flower, phlox subulata, which is called shibazakura in Japanese.

Phlox Subulata

Phlox Subulata

Phlox Subulata

     I didn't know that the steam locomotive was run from 1945 through 1974 there. According to official website of Yame Traditional Arts & Crafts, after the train route was cut in 1985, people planted so many Japanese wisteria to retain something and not to forget memory of the train. The steam locomotive was displayed there.
Steam Locomotive

Steam Locomotive




     We walked down the street to go to the Ofuji Festival.


       On the street, Yame green tea leaves were selling. Kurogi is also famous for Yame green tea because water is very clear and climate is just right for growing tea trees. My mother bought some because my family drinks green tea every single day year-round.
Yame Green Tea Leaves

     We were able to see beautiful Japanese wisteria while walking down the street.
Japanese Wisteria

Japanese Wisteria

Japanese Wisteria

Japanese Wisteria

Japanese Wisteria

Japanese Wisteria

Japanese Wisteria

Shrine Gate / Torii

Japanese Wisteria

Candy Store

      At the main area of the festival, there was even more beautiful Japanese wisteria. The blossoms of the Japanese wisteria were very long!
Japanese Wisteria

Japanese Wisteria & Azaleas

       I was amazed at how beautiful those flowers were. The Japanese Wisteria was blooming like beautiful purple curtains around there.
Japanese Wisteria

Japanese Wisteria

Japanese Wisteria

Japanese Wisteria

Shrine



Komainu

Komainu

Japanese Wisteria












Japanese Wisteria

 
       While we were going back to the parking lot, I found the pastry shop which was selling Yame Green Matcha Juice. Matcha is powder of green tea and is usually very expensive. This matcha juice was made of Yame green tea leaves, so I really wanted to try it. A cup of matcha juice was 200 yen.

Orange Juice & Yame Matcha Juice

     It was bitter but had slightly sweet taste. I really liked it. The woman who works for the store told me that this matcha juice was only served through the season of this Kurogi Ofuji Festival.

Yame Matcha Juice

      Then, I bought some steamed buns with red bean paste at traditional Japanese steam bun store.
Traditional Japanese Steamed Bun Store

Steamed Buns with Red Bean Paste


      This steamed bun was made of Japanese mugwort, which is called yomogi in Japanese. When I was little my grandmother made yomogi mochi in spring, and I really liked it. It had a little yomogi aroma and taste. :)
Steamed Yomogi Bun

     After going back home, we savored the tea of new Yame green tea leaves, which my mother bought at the store on the street. This tea leaves was just made this month.
Yame Green Tea Leaves

     The green tea aroma was so good. I thought Yame green tea is the best of the best in Japan.
Yame Green Tea Leaves


     I uploaded my Youtube video which I recorded yesterday.


     

八女黒木大藤まつり
福岡県八女市黒木町黒木5-2

Kurogi Ofuji Festival
5-2 Kurogi Kurogi-machi Yame, Fukuoka Japan





     This is also my entry you might like.
Top 10 Products You Should Buy at Japanese Supermarkets (for Beginners!)

No comments:

Post a Comment