Saturday, June 4, 2016

Hummingbirds Around Our Neighborhood

     Yesterday, my husband came back home hours earlier than usual, so we took a walk around our neighborhood. I took my camera with 50x optical zoom to our walk. During walking, we often saw tiny cute hummingbirds flying very fast just like bees. It's pretty hard to take pictures of hummingbirds because they move away quickly, but I was able to take some photos eventually. :) I'm going to share some hummingbirds' photos I took yesterday with you. 

     This hummingbird was just flying like a bee. 

    I could hear the sound of wings but couldn't clearly see the wings because it moved wings super fast. According to Wikipedia, they are known as hummingbirds because of the humming sound created by their beating wings which flap at high frequencies audible to humans. They hover in mid-air at rapid wing-flapping rates, typically around 50 times per second, allowing them also to fly at speeds exceeding 15 m/s (54 km/h; 34 mph), backwards.  In Japanese, hummingbird is named hachidori(ハチドリ) indeed. Hachi(ハチ) means bee, and dori(ドリ/鳥) means bird in Japanese.



       My entries related to wild animals can be seen here.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/wild%20animals

No comments:

Post a Comment