Sunday, June 5, 2016

Nishikigoi, Japanese Carp, in Newport Beach

    Today, my husband and I went to Fashion Island mall in Newport Beach. There was the Koi Pond at the mall. Koi (鯉) means carp in Japanese. Specifically, these colorful carp are called nishikigoi (錦鯉) in Japanese. When I lived in Fukuoka, Japan, at least two of my neighbors had many big nishikigoi in their ponds. I was just child at that time, but I believe that one of my neighbors had those as pets, and the other neighbor was farming beautiful nishikigoi to sell (or having those for future big investments). These Fashion Island's nishikigoi were pretty big, but my neighbors' ones were more than two times bigger than these actually. When I was child, my grandmother took me to the neigbors' house to see beautiful nishikigoi together, and I was really excited to see the huge colorful fish with her. This pond reminded me of my childhood memories. :) 
Nishikigoi (錦鯉) at Koi Pond, Newport Beach
       According to Orange County Register, it is vital to the health of the fish and the pond itself that there be proper control over the aquatic environment. This is made possible with a regularly scheduled maintenance program. To ensure this healthy ecosystem even further, they only bring in koi from one area of the world – the Niigata Region in Japan. These nishikigoi came form Japan! Do you know some nishikigoi are incredibly expensive? The lowest one is probably around $50, but expensive ones are sometimes sold for about $200,000!   
Nishikigoi (錦鯉) at Koi Pond, Newport Beach

Nishikigoi (錦鯉) at Koi Pond, Newport Beach

Nishikigoi (錦鯉) at Koi Pond, Newport Beach

Nishikigoi (錦鯉) at Koi Pond, Newport Beach
Fashion Island
401 Newport Ctr Dr 
Newport Beach, CA 92660


       My entries related to Newport Beach can be seen here.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/Newport%20Beach

       My entries related to wild animals can be seen here.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/wild%20animals


No comments:

Post a Comment