Thursday, April 14, 2022

How to Make Perfect Anko, Japanese Sweetened Red Bean Paste

      I uploaded this video, How to Make Perfect Anko, Japanese Sweetened Red Bean Paste, on my YouTube channel.

     My husband really loves anything made with anko.  He used to purchase anko at our local Japanese supermarkets and cooks zenzai (ぜんざい, sweetened red bean soup with mochi), an toast (あんトースト, sweetened red bean toast), and so on. (We also purchased anko in Japan. You can check out my previous entry, Japanese Grocery Haul - What I Purchased at Supermarket, Department Stores and Kitano Ace in Japan.) 

     After living in the U.S. over a decade, he eventually started making anko at home. I was surprised about that at first. If we lived in Japan, we would never think that we would make anko at home because it's very easy to find delicious anko and is very affordable in Japan. Now, he makes perfect delicious anko at home. Actually, his homemade anko tastes better than ones we can find at supermarkets. We have been enjoying his homemade anko for years now, and we finally decided to share his recipe.    

Shirakiku Red Beans Azuki
      He always uses this Shirakiku Azuki Red Beans. You can find this azuki beans at most Japanese supermarkets in the U.S., and you can also find one on Amazon

 

 

How We Enjoy Homemade Anko

Croissant Filled with Sweetened Red Bean Paste

Bread + Anko

Croissant + Sweetened Red Bean Paste

     Anko goes well with bread. You can spread anko on toast. My favorite one is an croissant (あんクロワッサン), a croissant filled with anko. You can also add sliced butter or cream cheese to an croissant. 

 

Taiyaki

How to Make Perfect Taiyaki, Japanese Fish-Shaped Cake
    Taiyaki (たい焼き) is also my favorite one. Taiyaki is a Japanese fish-shaped cake filled with sweetened red bean paste and is one of the most popular street snacks in Japan. In order to make taiyaki, you need a taiyaki pan, but it's very easy to make with it. You can check out my previous entry, How to Make Perfect Taiyaki, Japanese Fish-Shaped Cake.  

 

Matcha Dessert + Anko

How to Make Easy Matcha Green Tea Warabimochi

      Anko also goes well with matcha dessert. If you love traditional Japanese desserts, you should try matcha warabi mochi. It's very easy to make. When you add anko and kinako, roasted soy bean flour, to your matcha warabi mochi, it tastes perfect! You can check out my previous entry, How to Make Easy Matcha Green Tea Warabimochi.


How to Make Japanese Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream

      If you own an ice maker, it's very easy to make ice cream. (I use a KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment for my KitchenAid stand mixer.) Matcha ice cream is delicious itself, but when you add anko to matcha desserts, it is very authentic! You can check out my previous entry, How to Make Japanese Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream.


Mochi + Anko

How to Make Ichigo Daifuku, A Japanese Mochi Dessert Stuffed with Strawberry and Anko
      My husband loves mochi and anko. He sometime makes ohagi (おはぎ, botamochi ぼたもち), a sweet rice ball covered with anko. I purchased fresh strawberries at my local supermarket and made ichigo daifuku, mochi dessert stuffed with a strawberry and anko. You can check out my previous entry, How to Make Ichigo Daifuku, A Japanese Mochi Dessert Stuffed with Strawberry and Anko.


How To Make Zenzai, Japanese Sweetened Red Bean Soup with Rice Cakes
       When we have Japanese mochi and anko, we sometimes makes zenzai (ぜんざい), a traditional Japanese anko soup with Japanese mochi. You can check out my previous entry, How To Make Zenzai, Japanese Sweetened Red Bean Soup with Rice Cakes.

 

 

 

 

How to Make Perfect Anko, Japanese Sweetened Red Bean Paste

 How to Make Perfect Anko, 

Japanese Sweetened Red Bean Paste

What You'll Need to Make Anko

What You'll Need

12 oz (340g) of Azuki (Adzuki), Japanese Red Beans

250g of Sugar

A Nip of Salt

 

 ■How to Make Anko■

 1.【Rinse and Drain】Rinse azuki beans in lukewarm water and drain. (1 to 2 times)


 

 

 2.【Boil azuki beans to remove the bitter taste.】Put azuki beans into a sauce pan. Add lukewarm water and bring it to a boil. When it starts boiling, add 2 cups of cold water. 


 

After it boils again, drain the azuki beans. 


 

 

 

3.【Simmer the azuki beans.】Put azuki beans and 1000ml of lukewarm water into a sauce pan, and bring it to a boil. Once boiling, simmer it over medium to low heat for 90 minutes. When the water evaporates, add 1 cup of water. After 90 minutes, test the tenderness of the bean by mushing it with a spoon. If it is not tender enough, simmer it for a while. 


 

 

 4.【Sweeten the azuki beans.】Add sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add salt and stir again. Simmer it until thickened. Stir it occasionally to keep it from burning. 


 


 

 

 

 5.Enjoy! Transfer it into a container. You can store it in a refrigerator for a week.



 

 

      These are also my entries you might like.

■How to Make Perfect Taiyaki, Japanese Fish-Shaped Cake 

■ICHIRAN Instant Ramen - The Best Instant Ramen from Popular Japanese Ramen Restaurant (How We Cooked!)  

■All About Marutai Kyushu Local Ramen! Must-Try Japanese Instant Ramen

■How to Cook Miso Soup at Home

■How to Cook Cheese Okonomiyaki, Japanese Savory Pancakes

■How to Cook Yakisoba with Instant Noodles, Sapporo Ichiban Chow Mein 

■How to Cook Easy Chicken Teriyaki with Sesame Miso Sauce

■How to Cook Japanese Rice without a Rice Cooker
  
■Don Quijote (Donki) Haul - What He Got in Japan

■What He Got at Drugstore in Japan - Haul

■Top 10 Products You Should Buy at Japanese Supermarkets (for Beginners!)

■My Top 15 Must Eat Foods in Japan - My Favorite Japanese Foods

■How to Make Japanese Deep Fried Chicken, Kara-Age

■How to Cook Miso Soup

■8 Interesting Japanese Kitchen Gadgets!



    My entries related to cooking can be seen here.

    My entries related to my favorite recipes can be seen here.

    My entries related to foods my husband cooked can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japanese noodles can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan Haul can be seen here.
 

    My entries related to Best Japanese Beauty Products can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan can be seen here


    ★You can find my recipe entries through my Pinterest.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment