Friday, August 25, 2017

How to Cook Healthy Tofu Okonomiyaki

     Last night, I was going to cook cabbage yaki, Osaka's fast-food cuisine, which I used to eat when I lived in Osaka. However, after shredding cabbages, I realized that I didn't have any flour in my pantry! What should I make? I opened my refrigerator and found soft tofu in it. That's why I decided to make tofu okonomiyaki for the first time in years. :) Tofu is rich in protein, so it's much healthier than using flour. :) The taste of tofu okonomiyaki is actually as delicious as regular okonomiyaki.  
Tofu Okonomiyaki

       I also cooked this negi tofu okonomiyaki. By putting ponzu, citrus based sauce, over it, it has refreshing flavor. :)  Anyway, I'm going to share how to cook healthy tofu okonomiyaki with you.
Negi Tofu Okonomiyaki

Ingredients (4 Servings)
1 lb of Soft Tofu
4 Eggs
1/2 Smaller Size Cabbage (Shredded) 
2 Tablespoons of Tenkasu (Optional)
Nip of Salt and Black Pepper
1 Tablespoon of Hondashi
Thinly Sliced Pork, Seafood, Cheese or Diced Mochi (Optional)
Oil 

Topping for Regular Tofu Okonomiyaki
Okonomiyaki Sauce
Japanese Mayonnaise
Katsuobushi, Dried Bonito Flakes
Aonori
Kizami Shoga, Red Ginger Pickles

Topping for Negi Tofu Okonomiyaki
Green Onions (Chopped)
Ponzu



1. Microwave tofu for 5 minutes. Drain the water. Mash the tofu with a potato masher.

2. Mix tofu, eggs, cabbages, tenkasu, salt, black pepper and hondashi in a large bowl. You can add cheese if you want.


3. Heat oil in a pan over high heat. Scoop the mixture and place it in a pan. Make a flat round shape with a turner. If you want to add meat, seafood or mochi, place it under the mixture. Cover the lid and cook it over medium heat until it's browned.


4. When the okonomiyaki is browned, flip over it. Since it's made from tofu, it's pretty difficult to flip over it, so move it to a plate first. Then, flip over it as moving it back to the pan. Cover the lid and cook it until it's browned.


5. Move okonomiyaki to the plate. For regular tofu okonomiyaki, top it with okonomiyaki sauce, Japanese mayonnaise, katsuobushi, aonori and kizami shoga. Enjoy!  
Regular Tofu Okonomiyaki


     For negi tofu okonomiyaki, top it with plenty of green onions. Put ponzu over it. Enjoy!
Negi Tofu Okonomiyaki


      These are my entries you might like.
■How to Cook Okonomiyaki - Our Saturday Lunch

■How to Cook Easy Teriyaki Chicken 

■What I Bought at Japanese Supermarkets

■Top 10 Products You Should Buy at Japanese Supermarkets (for Beginners!)

■Don Quijote (Donki) Haul - What He Got in Japan

■8 Interesting Japanese Kitchen Gadgets!

■My Top 10 Favorite Japanese Snacks

■My Top 10 Favorite Japanese Sweets

■Top 10 Most Popular Japanese Foods 

■My Top 15 Must Eat Foods in Japan - My Favorite Japanese Foods

■How to Make Japanese Deep Fried Chicken, Kara-Age

■How to Cook Japanese Curry

■How to Cook Miso Soup



    My entries related to cooking can be seen here.

    My entries related to my favorite recipes can be seen here.

    My entries related to foods my husband cooked can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japanese instant ramen can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japanese noodles can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan Haul can be seen here.
 

    My entries related to Best Japanese Beauty Products can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan can be seen here.



No comments:

Post a Comment