Tuesday, May 17, 2016

9 Ways to Save Money on Food - Grocery Shopping

    In my yesterday's entry, I wrote that one of the most effective ways to save money is to limit the frequency of eating out. More you cook, more you can save. However, if you go to grocery stores without planning, you end up spending too much money on food. Some people spend on groceries for $1,000 a month, but other people spend on groceries for $160 a month. Even though reducing the frequency of eating out saves money, you can save more money if you shop groceries wisely. I'm going to share 9 ways to save money on food with you.


1.  Don't Shop When You Are Hungry
   It's true that hunger makes you buy more. When you are hungry, you tend to buy more stuff. If you are hungry, you shouldn't to go shopping.


2. Don't Go Shopping Frequently
   If you go to grocery stores every two days, you buy more stuff. Plan well and go shopping only weekends.


3. Make A Budget
   In order to save money, you should make a budget. If your budget for foods is $160 a month, you can spend money on food for $40 a week. Try not to buy more than your budget.


4. Make A List
    Before going to a grocery store, always make a list of what you are going to buy. By following your list while shopping, you will not forget to buy anything, and you can ignore everything that's not on your list. It really saves your time since you don't have to wander around the store.


5. Buy Something You Eat Frequently
   Find something you eat regularly such as bread, eggs and milk, and add your list. I always check if I still have potatoes, onions and carrots when I make my shopping list. These three vegetables are essential to cook Japanese curry, Japanese stew and nikujaga, and these pretty last fresh long, so when I don't want to think about menu, I simply cook Japanese curry.


6. Know What Is in Season
    Now, you can buy any vegetable and fruit all year around, but if you buy those in season, you can get those with cheaper price. For instance, when strawberries are in season, you can easily find a 1 lb pack of strawberries for $1. When they are out of season, they are $4 or more. Try to buy vegetable and fruit during season.


7. Shop Produce at Asian Supermarket
    Vegetables and fruit at Asian supermarkets are usually cheaper than American supermarket. Japanese supermarkets are usually expensive than other Asian supermarkets though.


8. When You Buy Expensive Foods, Always Wait for Deal
    Only when expensive foods such as meat and shrimp are on sale, I buy those. Otherwise, those are usually very expensive. When I need some Japanese condiment, I always wait for deal. Usually ponzu is $7 or so, but I only buy one with less than $3.


9. Use Coupons
     If you find something on sale, find coupons. You can get additional discount for your foods. There are many coupons you can find such as Sunday paper coupons, printable coupons and digital coupons.


     Next time, I'll write more about how to save money on foods.


These are my entries you might like.

1. Why Couldn't You Save Money?

2. Start Saving Money In Your Early 20s

3. 3 Steps : How to Start Saving Money

4. Cost of Eating Out vs Eating at Home

5. 9 Ways to Save Money on Food - Grocery Shopping

6. 8 Tips to Save Money on Foods - Cooking


     My entries related to money can be seen here.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/money

     My entries related to cooking can be seen here.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/cooking

     This is my entries related to my favorite recipes.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/recipes


No comments:

Post a Comment