Friday, March 27, 2015

Healthy Diet - Chia Seeds, Buy in Bulk at Costco

       One of my new year's resolutions of 2015 is trying to eat healthy. As I decided to do so, I have been eating a lot of vegetables and some fruit on a daily basis since then. In addition, I drink plenty of water every day. As soon as I wake up morning, I make my chia drink, which contains 1 teaspoon of chia, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 24 oz of water. According to Wikipedia, chia seeds are a rich source of the B vitamins thiamine and niacin, and are a rich source of the dietary minerals calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, and zinc. Chia seeds are also a good source (10-19% DV) of the B vitamins riboflavin and folate. Adding chia seeds to your diet is an easy way to get a good amount of nutrition. However, you should also know that chia is high in calories. One tablespoon, 12g, of chia contains approximately 60 calories. That's why I don't eat too much chia every day. Just 1 teaspoon (maximum 1 tablespoon for me) of chia per day makes my diet healthier. :)

      That being said, I repeatedly purchased a pack of chia seeds at Trader Joe's or Mexican supermarkets. I finally decided to purchase this 32 oz bag of chia seeds for $9.99 at Costco! According to my calculation, it will last for four months for two people. As you might know, organic chia seeds are usually pretty expensive, so I think it might good idea to buy in bulk. Considering that 12 oz bag of Nutiva chia seeds costs $17.99 at Walmart, the 32 oz bag for $9.99 at Costco was a bargain. :)

Nutiva Organic Chia Seed 32 oz for $9.99 at Costco


       This is my previous entry about Mexican chia drink recipe.


     My entries related Costco can be seen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment