Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Desafinado

Yesterday, I was watching youtube as usual. I like her youtube channel. :)
The end of the video, she always shares the music title which was used for this video as BGM. I watched this video, and I noticed that I have heard this song before. I like this song!
The song title was Desafinado, which is Portuguese word and is called in English "Out of Tune" or "Off Key". This song is one of the famous jazz songs, and many singers, both men and women, have covered it in Portuguese and English.




-Lyrics-
Love is like a never ending melody,
Poets have compared it to a symphony
A symphony conducted by the lighting of the moon,
But our song of love is slightly out of tune . . . .

Once your kisses raised me to a fever pitch,
Now the orchestration doesnt seem so rich,
Seems to me youve changed the tune we used to sing,
Like the bossa nova love should swing . . . .

We used to harmonize two souls in perfect time,
Now the song is different and the words dont even rhyme,
Cause you forgot the melody our hearts would always croon,
What goods a heart thats slightly out of tune?

Tune your heart with mine the way it used to be,
Join with me in harmony and sing a song of love,
Were bound to get in tune again before too long,
Therell be no Desafinado when your heart belongs to me completely
Then you wont be slightly out of tune, you'll sing along with me!









-Lyrics-
When I try to sing you say I'm off key
Why can't you see how much this hurts me
With your perfect beauty and your perfect pitch
You're a perfect terror
When I come around, must you always put me down

If you say my singing is off key my love
You will hurt my feelings don't you see my love
I wish I had an ear like yours
A voice that would behave
But all I have is feelings and a voice God gave

You insist my music goes against the rules
Yes but rules were never made for lovesick fools
I wrote this little song for you but you don't care
It's a crooked song oh but all my heart is there

The thing that you would see if you would do your part
Is even if I'm out of tune I have a gentle heart
I took your picture with my trusty Rollaflex
And now all I have developed is a complexPossibly in vain

I hope you weaken oh my love
And forget these rigid rules that undermine my dream of
A life of love and music with someone who'll understand
That even though I may be out of tune
When I attempt to say how much I love you
All that matters is the message that I bring
Which is my key one I love you.





 Today's Vocabulary
・ poet : noun / 詩人、歌人
・ compare A to B : AをBに例える、AをBと比較する
・ fever pitch : (気持ちの盛り上がりなどの)最高潮
・ swing : verb / ~を揺らす、(音楽を)ビッグバンドで演奏する
・ rhyme : verb / 韻を踏む
・ croon : verb / ささやくように優しく歌う、感傷的に歌う
・ be bound to : ~しなければならない、~する運命にある
・ insist : verb / 断言する、主張する
・ crooked : adjective / ひねくれた、歪んだ
・ complex : noun / コンプレックス、強迫観念、固定概念
・ in vain : (努力などが)無駄に
  ex) In vain they rise early that used to rise late. : かつては寝坊していた者が早起きしても、何の役にも立たない。
  ex) I tried that in vain, too. : それもやってみたけど、無駄だったわ。
・ rigid rule : 厳重な法則
・ undermine : verb / ~を~を徐々に弱らせる



No comments:

Post a Comment