Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Abbreviations, Slangs and Emoticons in English

I've seen some abbreviation and slang on facebook comments, e-mails, blogs and so on.

I've recently learned these.

LOL : "laughing out loud"


XOXO : "Kiss hug kiss hug"  X means kisses and O means hugs.


TGIF : "Thank goodness it's Friday!"


I used to use emoticons in e-mail when I was in Japan. Japanese emoticons are very easy to understand and have a lot. I can't keep up with these already because there are too many new Japanese emoticons. Haha...
These are some of Japanese emoticons.

( ^^) _旦~~   Cup of tea, take a rest

(・∀・)   Laughing

(●^o^●)    Happy

(-_-)zzz   Sleeping

( ゚ Д゚)   Shocked

(-_-;)   Nervous

(;_;)   Crying

(^_-)-☆   Wink

( ..)φメモメモ   That's important! I feel like it's necessary to write it down!

((+_+))   Confused

orz   Despair



When I moved to the U.S., I didn't know any emoticons which American people use.
Now, I can use some of them. :)

:)   :-)   =)    Smiley or happy face

:-))   Very happy

:D   :-D   =D   XD  X-D   Laughing

:(   :-(   :<   :-<   Sad

:((  Very sad or weeping

:-||   Angry

:/   :-/   :\   :-\   Annoyed

: |   :-|   disgusted, grim, no expression
 
;)   ;-)  *)   *-)   Wink

:P   :-P   XP  Tongue sticking out

:X   :-X   Embarrassed






 Today's Vocabulary
・ abbreviation : noun / 略語
・ emoticon : 顔文字
・ despair : noun / 失望
・ weeping : 涙を流す、涙ぐんだ
・ grim : adjective / 気味の悪い、不快な、ゾッとする

No comments:

Post a Comment