Sunday, February 19, 2012

How to Cook Nabe

I ate nabe, which is Japanese pot dish, for dinner tonight. In winter season, nabe is very popular in Japan.

When I visited Japan two years ago, I went to a nabe restaurant with my former coworkers.

It was very reasonable for dinner. It was only 880 yen, which is about $7 for nabe buffet.

I could eat as many vegetables as I wanted. It's very healthy!



It was interesting for me. I usually eat some vegetables with nabe such as chinese cabbage, Japanese radish, bok choy, mushroom, chinese chive and spinach. But there were more vegetable which I didn't eat with nabe such as asparagus, lettuce, squash, sweet potato, broccoli, corn, burdock root and so on.
I thought I got some idea from this restaurant!

Actually, it's very easy to cook nabe at home. The pot is better to use donabe, which is made of clay, because it can keep warm for a while after being taken off the fire.

When I came back to the U.S., I brought my clay pot which I used to use in Japan. I have cooked nabe many times in the U.S. since then.


I'm going to share the recipe.

Ingredients
4 cups of water
2 tablespoons of Hondashi
1 pack of tofu (cut it into bite-size pieces)
1 pound meat of your choice (sliced pork, diced size chicken or tsukune etc)
some vegetable you like (chinese cabbage, Japanese radish, bok choy, mushroom, chinese chive and spinach etc)

1. Pour water and Hondashi into pot. Put Japanese radish and mushroom into the pot, cover the lid, and simmer it over high heat until boiling. Then, simmer it over low heat until Japanese radish is cooked.
2.Then add tofu, meat and green leaf vegetables. Simmer it until boiling. That's it!
3. Pour ponzu sauce into your small bowl. Pick the cooked ingredients into your bowl from the pot.
4. Enjoy. You can pick more from the pot as many times as you want! If the pot becomes empty, do over step 2.



    This is my entries related to my favorite recipe.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/recipes

      This is my entries related to cooking.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment