Thursday, February 23, 2012

We Always Shouldn't Lose Our Philosophy

I went to conversation class today and we discussed about gun problems.
According to my textbook, 25 % of U.S. citizens own guns. I know that it is legal for them and is for protection. But, there are some problems. People accidentally kill innocent people.
In Japan, owning guns is not allowed by law. Moreover, Japan doesn't have military. When I was in Japan, I thought that it was normal. After coming to the U.S., I realized Japan is unique. Many countries have military-draft system. One of my former classmate didn't have to enter military in her country because she attended university, but instead she had to learn how to use weapons and practiced combat skills in a special training course . When I heard about that from her, I was very surprised. She was so skinny and adorable girl. I couldn't imagine that she practiced guns. I wonder why people need a gun because the purpose of a gun is to kill people or animals. I know the culture of each country is different, but I still can't understand.
After World War II, Japan decided to disarm and never go to war again. Japan is the only country ever to suffer an atomic attack. Japanese people believe that going to war only brings sadness. When World War II ended, Japan was very poor country. Many people lost their family and home, suffered from side effects of the war, and there wasn't enough resources. But, people overcame it and made Japan a better county. Japanese people have improved many technologies but have never used their technology for weapons for war. Japan is committed to the three nonnuclear principles, not to make or possess nuclear weapons, and not to allow their entry into Japan. Now, Japan is one of the most peaceful and the prosperous countries. I believe we don't need weapon to make a better country. No more war and no more killing each other.

I know that it's not easy to get rid of protection, but I think we always shouldn't lose our philosophy.


I like John Lennon. This is one of my favorite songs.

John Lennon / Imagine

-Lyrics-
Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people living life in peace

You, you may say
I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people sharing all the world

You, you may say
I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will live as one






 Today's Vocabulary
・ military-draft system : 徴兵制度
・ overcome : verb / (困難などに)乗り越える、克服する
・ three nonnuclear principle : 非核三原則
・ principle : noun / 原則
・ possess : verb / 所有する
・ prosperous : adjective / 幸運な、豊かな、裕福な ( Pronunciation is prɑ'spərəs )
・ philosophy : noun / 信条、視点、哲学
・ greed : noun / 強欲
・ brotherhood : noun / 兄弟の間柄、兄弟愛

No comments:

Post a Comment