Sunday, January 2, 2022

What I Ate Traditional Japanese Foods for This New Year's Holidays

          New Year's holidays, which are called oshogatsu (お正月) in Japan, are the most important holidays for Japanese people.

Traditional Japanese Food for New Year's Eve
         It's a Japanese traditional that osoji (大掃除), big cleaning, is done in late December before the New Year comes. Then, on New Year's Eve, it's a Japanese traditional to eat soba noodles, which are called toshikoshi soba (年越しそば, 年越し蕎麦).

Toshikoshi Soba (年越し蕎麦)

         On December 31, my husband and I cleaned up our home all day long. Then, we had toshikoshi soba after that. This time, my husband cooked chicken green onion soba (鶏ネギそば), which is also called tori nanban soba (鶏南蛮そば), and it turned out so savory and delicious. 😋 I will write how he cooked chicken green onion soba next time.



Traditional Japanese Foods for New Year
       Japanese New Year (Shogatsu) runs January 1 through January 7 (O-shogatsu, 大正月) or January 15 (Ko-shogatsu, 小正月). Specially, January 1 through January 3 is called sanganichi (三が日), and people visit shrines and meet families and relatives for the first time in the year and enjoy Japanese traditional New Year's foods.

 

   Zoni (雑煮), Mochi Soup
       During New Year's holiday, it's a Japanese traditional to eat mochi. Specially, mochi soup which is called zoni (雑煮) or ozoni (お雑煮) is commonly eaten in Japan during New Year's holiday.   

Zoni (雑煮)
      This year, I cooked this zoni for New Year's soup. If you are interested in how to cook zoni, you can check out my previous entry, How to Cook Zoni, Japanese Mochi Soup for New Year's Day. This time, one of my husband coworkers gave him a lot of mochi before New Year came. She makes a lot of mochi at home in the U.S. at the end of every year. 😊


 

     ■Chikuzenni (筑前煮), Nishime (煮しめ)

      During New Year's holiday, people in Japan eat Osechi (おせち), Osechi Ryori (おせち料理). Osechi is a collection of lucky foods such as chikuzenni, kuromame, kamaboko and so on.

Chikuzenni (筑前煮)
       I cooked this chikuzenni as our Osechi. I used frozen vegetable, konjack and chicken. If you are interested in how to cook chikuzenni, you can check out my previous entry, How to Cook Chikuzenni, Japanese Simmered Chicken and Vegetables.


 

      These are also my entries you might like.

■How To Make Tori Nanban Soba, Chicken and Green Onion Soba Noodles

■Sapporo Ichiban Momosan Ramen Tokyo Chicken - Costco Haul & How He Cooked!  

■ICHIRAN Instant Ramen - The Best Instant Ramen from Popular Japanese Ramen Restaurant (How We Cooked!)  

■All About Marutai Kyushu Local Ramen! Must-Try Japanese Instant Ramen

■Myojo Chukazanmai Ryanmen - The Best Hiyashi Chuka Instant Noodles

■Top 3 My Favorite Ramen From Marutai Kyushu Ramen Series

■How to Cook Yakisoba with Instant Noodles, Sapporo Ichiban Chow Mein 

■How to Cook Omurice, a Japanese Omelette Stuffed with Rice (Cook Like a Pro!)

■How to Make An Easy Egg Toast (Japanese Sliced Bread + Japanese Mayonnaise = Deliciousness)
  
■Don Quijote (Donki) Haul - What He Got in Japan

■What He Got at Drugstore in Japan - Haul

■Top 10 Products You Should Buy at Japanese Supermarkets (for Beginners!)

■My Top 15 Must Eat Foods in Japan - My Favorite Japanese Foods

■How to Make Japanese Deep Fried Chicken, Kara-Age

■How to Cook Miso Soup

■8 Interesting Japanese Kitchen Gadgets!



    My entries related to cooking can be seen here.

    My entries related to my favorite recipes can be seen here.

    My entries related to foods my husband cooked can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japanese noodles can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan Haul can be seen here.
 

    My entries related to Best Japanese Beauty Products can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan can be seen here


    ★You can find my recipe entries through my Pinterest.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment