Saturday, August 26, 2017

How to Make Abekawa Mochi, Kinako Mochi

     Today, I made this Abekawa mochi (安倍川もち), which is Japanese mochi coated with kinako (きな粉), roasted soy bean flour. It's also called kinako mochi (きな粉もち).  When I was a child, my grandmother used to make Abekawa mochi for me during winter because winter is a season to enjoy mochi in Japan. Regardless of age, Abekawa mochi is popular mochi dessert in Japan all year round. (By the way, people in my hometown love to eat kinako rice, which is called kinako gohan (きな粉ご飯). I used to sprinkle kinako and sugar over steamed rice. It was quick and easy dessert. I don't know if you like it, but my husband and I loved it when we lived in Japan. )

     This time, I used mochiko (もち粉), for this Abekawa mochi, but you can also make it with kirimochi (切り餅). Just grill or microwave kirimochi and soak it in water. Then, coated it with kinako. Anyway, I'm going to share how to make Abekawa mochi with you. :)

Ingredients (4 Pieces of Abekawa mochi)

For Mochi
80g (2.8 oz) of Mochiko, Japanese Sweet Rice Flour
1 Tablespoon of Sugar
100ml (3.3 fl oz) of Water

For Kinako and Topping
Kinako, Japanese Roasted Soy Bean Flour
Sugar 
Anko, Sweetened Red Bean Paste (Optional)



 1. Mix mochiko and sugar in a bowl.





2. Add water to it little by little as you stir the mixture.





 3. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Microwave it for 2 minutes. Knead the mochi with a rice paddle thoroughly.

 




4. Cover it with plastic wrap and microwave it for 30 seconds. Knead the mochi with a rice paddle thoroughly. 





5. Mix kinako and sugar according to your preference. (You might like the ration of 8 Tablespoons of Kinako to 4 Tablespoons of Sugar. )





 6. Scoop a small piece of mochi with a wet tablespoon. Soak the mochi in water.

      Then, move the mochi into the mixture of kinako and sugar. Coat the mochi with it. 
     You can store the remaining mixture of kinako and sugar in refrigerator, so try kinako rice later if you are interested in it. ;)




7. Serve and enjoy!  Add anko, sweetened red bean pastes, if you like it.
      





       These are also my entries you might like.
■How to Make Ichigo Daifuku, A Japanese Mochi Dessert Stuffed with Strawberry and Anko

■Trader Joe's The Crispy Crunchy Mochi Rice Nuggets

■My Favorite Okara Chocolate Cake & Okara Recipes

■What I Bought at Japanese Supermarkets

■Top 10 Products You Should Buy at Japanese Supermarkets (for Beginners!)

■Don Quijote (Donki) Haul - What He Got in Japan

■8 Interesting Japanese Kitchen Gadgets!

■My Top 10 Favorite Japanese Snacks

■My Top 10 Favorite Japanese Sweets

■Top 10 Most Popular Japanese Foods 

■My Top 15 Must Eat Foods in Japan - My Favorite Japanese Foods

■How to Make Japanese Deep Fried Chicken, Kara-Age

■How to Cook Japanese Curry

■How to Cook Miso Soup

■How to Cook Japanese White Cream Stew

■How to Cook Soboro Don, Japanese Scrambled Meat And Egg Bowl

■How to Cook Easy Teriyaki Chicken


    My entries related to cooking can be seen here.

    My entries related to my favorite recipes can be seen here.

    My entries related to foods my husband cooked can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japanese instant ramen can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japanese noodles can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan Haul can be seen here.
 

    My entries related to Best Japanese Beauty Products can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan can be seen here.



No comments:

Post a Comment