Tuesday, June 11, 2019

How to Make Easy Japanese Potato Salad

      Have you ever tried Japanese potato salad (ポテトサラダ, ポテサラ)? As I mentioned in my previous entry, Most Popular Japanese Foods (Top 41 - 50), Japanese potato salad is one of the most popular Japanese foods. It's usually served as side dishes, and it is also used for sandwiches. Regular Japanese potato salad contains mashed potatoes, cucumbers, onions, ham and Japanese mayonnaise.


Where can you find Japanese potato salad?
       When you go to Japanese supermarkets, you can find Japanese potato salad at deli section. In Japan, you can find one at supermarkets, convenience stores, bento shops, izakaya restaurants and so on. You can even find fancy one at department stores, which are called depachika (デパ地下). You can find potato salad sandwiches at many convenience stores in Japan.
My Potato Salad
       Last week, I made Japanese potato salad, and it turned out so delicious. I also enjoyed potato salad sandwiches next day. :) Anyway, today, I'm going to share how to make Japanese potato salad with you. :) If you make Japanese potato salad, I recommend you to use Japanese mayonnaise like Kewpie. You can check my previous entry, Japanese Mayonnaise Is the Best!


How to Make Japanese Potato Salad

Ingredients for 4 Servings
4 Russet Potatoes (Sliced)
1 Cucumber (Thinly Sliced)
1/2 Teaspoon of Salt (for Cucumber)
1/2 Onion (Thinly Sliced)
2 Teaspoons of Vinegar
2 Teaspoons of Olive Oil
Nip of Salt and Black Pepper
8 Tablespoons of Japanese Mayonnaise

You can also add corns, carrots, boiled eggs, shrimps, tuna and so on.




1. Put the potatoes in a pot and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer it over medium low heat until potatoes are fully cooked.


       Then, drain potatoes and mash potatoes with a masher. Then, turn off the heat.






2. Thinly slice cucumber and onion with a slicer. I'm using this slicer which I purchased at Daiso in Japan 5 years ago. I really love it. I can make perfectly thin slices with it very easily. :)
Slicer


     Sprinkle salt over sliced cucumbers. Let stand for 10 minutes. Then, gently squeeze cucumbers with paper towels to remove excess liquid.


     Soak thinly sliced onions in water for 10 minutes. Then, drain water and gently squeeze onions with paper towels to remove excess liquid.





3. Mix vinegar, olive oil, salt and black pepper, and add the mixture into the potatoes. Stir thoroughly.



4. Add cucumbers, onions and Japanese mayonnaise into the potatoes. (If you want to add your favorite ingredients such as ham, add ones here.)  Toss gently to combine.




5. Serve and enjoy!




       These are also my entries you might like.
■Top 10 Most Popular Japanese Foods

■Japanese Mayonnaise Is the Best!  

■How to Make Egg and Broccoli Salad

■How to Cook Savory Stir-Fried Broccoli and Potatoes

■How to Make Easy Cucumber & Corn Salad

■How to Cook Creamy Pumpkin Salad

■How to Make Massaged Kale Salad

■How to Make Asian Spinach Salad
  
■Don Quijote (Donki) Haul - What He Got in Japan

■What He Got at Drugstore in Japan - Haul

■Top 10 Products You Should Buy at Japanese Supermarkets (for Beginners!)

■My Top 15 Must Eat Foods in Japan - My Favorite Japanese Foods

■How to Make Japanese Deep Fried Chicken, Kara-Age

■How to Cook Miso Soup

■8 Interesting Japanese Kitchen Gadgets!



    My entries related to cooking can be seen here.

    My entries related to my favorite recipes can be seen here.

    My entries related to foods my husband cooked can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japanese noodles can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan Haul can be seen here.
 

    My entries related to Best Japanese Beauty Products can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan can be seen here.





No comments:

Post a Comment