Monday, January 12, 2015

Coffee Arabica in Kona on the Big Island, Hawaii

         As I mentioned in my previous entry, when I went to my local Starbucks last month, I found this picture of coffee arabica there. While I loved coffee so much and had it every day, I had never seen coffee plant before. That's why I really wanted to see coffee arabica during traveling on the Big Island, Hawaii, this January.

Picture of Coffee Arabica


       On the Big Island, we drove through Kona, where is the most famous place to grow coffee in the U.S. Kona coffee is grown only in a very small area of the Big Island.

       According to WikiPedia, Kona coffee is the market name for coffee (Coffea arabica) cultivated on the slopes of Hualalai and Mauna Loa in the North and South Kona Districts of the Big Island of Hawaii. It is one of the most expensive coffees in the world. Only coffee from the Kona Districts can be described as "Kona". The weather of sunny mornings, cloud or rain in the afternoon, little wind, and mild nights combined with porous, mineral-rich volcanic soil create favorable coffee growing conditions.

       I had never seen coffee arabica before, but when I saw these trees, I immediately noticed that these were coffee arabica!
Coffee Arabica

        The trees had a great number of beautiful white coffee flower buds. Kona coffee blooms in February and March.
Coffee Arabica


Coffee Arabica

Coffee Arabica

       Indeed, we saw coffee trees everywhere in Kona! Seeing real coffee arabica was one of my dreams. :)
Kona Coffee Farm

        I uploaded my YouTube video, Coffee Arabica Flowers and Farms in Kona.


Coffee Arabica Flowers and Farms in Kona, Hawaii





       My entries related to our traveling on the Big Island can be seen here.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/Hawaii%20%28the%20Big%20Island%29

No comments:

Post a Comment