Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Hakata Yamaya Restaurant - All-You-Can-Eat Mentaiko

     Last Sunday, my husband and I went to Hakata Yamaya, Japanese restaurant. That was our second time to go there. We grew up in Southern Japan, so this restaurant reminds us of our home town.

     "Hakata" is one of the biggest cities of Southern Japan and also famous for mentaiko, which is marinated cod roe. I believe that "Yamaya" is one of the most famous mentaiko manufacturers in Japan, and they have been in business for over 40 years. They went into restaurant business in 2004, and their branch of restaurant in Torrance in the U.S. was launched in 2010. I am very happy that they've allowed us to eat Yamaya mentaiko in the U.S. too! What I was impressed with their restaurant was that they serve all-you-can-eat mentaiko for free during lunch hours. This is because Yamaya mentaiko is high-end brand in Japan.

Yamaya Mentaiko 300g for 3150 yen (about $30)


     Even though, I love mentaiko so much, I can't afford to purchase it very often because it is usually very expensive in Japan. I assume that this one bowl of mentaiko is equivalent to $20 or so. I guess most Japanese customers have come there for their free all-you-can-eat mentaiko.

     Their mentaiko was authentic and was just as tasty as the one in Japan. Takana, Japanese pickle and famous in Southern Japan, was also good! I told my husband that it reminded me of his grandmother's takana. When we attended a Buddhist memorial service for his late grandmother, her daughter-in-law served takana which was made by his late grandmother. She said to her relatives that that was the last takana she made and wanted everyone to eat it. His late grandmother had been periodically making takana for her families. After she passed away, we ate her last precious takana. I thought that she created a special happy memory for all her relatives. :)

     My husband ordered Sautéed Horumon and Cabbage for $9.80. I think most Americans have never eaten Horumon, which is beef intestine, and it is unique in texture. It is chewy, tender, and very good taste.
Sautéed Horumon and Cabbage

     I ordered Deep Fried Chicken for $9.80. It was as good as I expected. I think it is liked by all.
Deep Fried Chicken

     We will definitely come back to this restaurant, and I highly recommend it for people who love authentic Japanese foods.


     My previous entry of Hakata Yamaya Restaurant is here.
All You Can Eat Mentaiko & Takana



 Hakata Yamaya
2529 Pacific Coast Hwy
Torrance, CA 90505

    

No comments:

Post a Comment