Wednesday, July 3, 2019

How to Cook Agedashi Tofu, Deep-Fried Tofu in Dashi Soup


     Do you like tofu? Last week, I cooked this agedashi tofu (揚げだし豆腐) for dinner. Age (揚げ) means deep-fried in Japanese, and dashi (出し) means dashi soup, so agedashi tofu means deep-fried tofu in dashi soup. However, I didn't deep-fry the tofu this time. I actually sauteed the tofu with plenty of oil. It's easier to cook and tasted like deep-fried. ;)  If you like tofu, I think you will love it. This agedashi tofu reminded me of the one I had at a tofu farmer's market which my brother took me to when I visited Japan. They had many tofu dishes, and it was a great experience for me. If you are planning on visiting Japan, try tofu dishes there. Japan has many kinds of fresh high quality tofu. If you go to a supermarket in Japan, you can find very delicious tofu at very reasonable prices. By the way, when I moved to the U.S. from Japan, I was very surprised that expiration dates of most tofu selling in the U.S. were so much longer than ones in Japan. Usually expiration dates of tofu products in Japan are in 5 to 10 days while ones in the U.S. are over a month. That's why I always have some packs of tofu in my refrigerator here in the U.S. ;)

     Anyway, today, I'm going to share how to cook agedashi tofu with you. I hope you will try this recipe. :)    



Ingredients for 4 Servings
14 oz of Soft Tofu (Cut into bite size)
3 Tablespoons of Potato Starch (Katakuriko)
3 Tablespoons of Vegetable Oil
2 Teaspoons of Grated Ginger
4 Tablespoons of Mirin (Japanese Sweet Cooking Rice Wine)
4 Tablespoons of Soy Sauce
1 Cup of Water
1 Tablespoon of Hondashi
1/2 Cup of Sliced Green Onions



     I usually purchase "soft" tofu for any Japanese tofu dishes such as agedashi tofu and miso soup. It's only because I like soft texture. If you find it difficult to cut the soft tofu into pieces, you can try "firm" tofu for this recipe.
House Foods Tofu Soft

House Foods Tofu Firm


1. Coat tofu with potato starch.


2. Heat oil in a pan over high heat, and place tofu in the pan. Make sure that tofu does not touch each other.



3. Flip tofu to brown both sides.



4. Add ginger, mirin, soy sauce, water, and hondashi into the pan.



5. Turn off the heat when water has boiled.



6. Serve the tofu on a plate. Top it with green onions.




7. Enjoy!



       These are also my entries you might like.
■Most Popular Japanese Foods (Top 41 - 50)

■Macchan Mitsuse Farmer's Market in Saga, Japan - The Best Tofu Ever

■Otokomae Tofuten, Everyone Should Try!

■How to Cook Healthy Tofu Okonomiyaki

■How To Cook Sundubu - Korean Soft Tofu Stew

■How to Make Italian Hamburg Steak with Okara, Japanese Style Salisbury Steak

■How to Cook Wafu Okara Hamburg Steaks

■How To Make Healthy Okara Chocolate Cake, Protein Chocolate Cake
  
■Don Quijote (Donki) Haul - What He Got in Japan

■What He Got at Drugstore in Japan - Haul

■Top 10 Products You Should Buy at Japanese Supermarkets (for Beginners!)

■My Top 15 Must Eat Foods in Japan - My Favorite Japanese Foods

■How to Make Japanese Deep Fried Chicken, Kara-Age

■How to Cook Miso Soup

■8 Interesting Japanese Kitchen Gadgets!




    My entries related to cooking can be seen here.

    My entries related to my favorite recipes can be seen here.

    My entries related to foods my husband cooked can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japanese noodles can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan Haul can be seen here.
 

    My entries related to Best Japanese Beauty Products can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan can be seen here.




No comments:

Post a Comment