Friday, June 7, 2013

Drug Addiction - Cannabis

     I worked as a nurse at a psychiatry hospital for three years in Japan. The hospital is one of the most huge psychiatry hospitals in Japan. Even though the hospital had over 600 beds for psychiatry patients, I never had any chance to see patients with drug addictions, such as cannabis and cocaine. In addition, I don't have acquaintances that have drug addictions in Japan. Marijuana addiction is not zero in Japan, but it is pretty rare for the general public. That's why I don't have experience caring for those patients and lack sufficient knowledge for drug addictions. (1,759 people who were related with marijuana in Japan were arrested in 2011, and 99 people who were related to cocaine were arrested in 2011.) Unlike Japan, drug addiction is huge problem in the U.S., especially with teenagers. I have often heard that parents of teenagers are always trying to protect their children from drug problem. One day, one of my friends who lives in LA told me that his roommate smoked marijuana illegally and asked him to smoke together. I was surprised about the fact that. I thought that getting marijuana in the U.S. is not hard comparing to Japan. In fact, California legalized medical cannabis in 1996, and marijuana smoke was listed as a cancer agent in California in 2009.
     As I studied for NCLEX, I realized that I need to improve my knowledge for drug addictions in order to work in CA. Yesterday, I watched YouTube videos about marijuana users. I had no idea about cannabis cookies, drink, and ice cream before watching them.



  How Drugs Work - Cannabis
  


Medical Marijuana : How It Works in CA


Cannabis / Marijuana

Cannabis Cookie



No comments:

Post a Comment