Friday, June 14, 2013

Coining - Cao Gio

      Today, I studied for NCLEX as usual, and I learned about one from of alternative medicine for the first time.
     This is the question I studied today.

A 3-year-old Vietnamese child with a fever, decreased urine output, wheezing, and coughing is brought to the emergency department. On examination, the nurse discovers red, round, weltlike lesions on the child's upper back and chest. The nurse should consider that these lesions may be caused by:
a) shingles.
b) child abuse.
c) allergic reaction.
d) cultural practice.

 




(Answer) cultural practice
Explanation: The nurse should consider that the lesions may be caused by cultural practice. Many Vietnamese perform coining, a cultural practice in which a coin is repeatedly rubbed lengthwise on the oiled skin to rid the body of a disease. Coining can produce weltlike lesions on the child's back or chest, and children subjected to the practice are commonly thought to have been abused. Interviewing the family and assessing its cultural background help distinguish between abuse and culture practice. Shingles, a form of herpes zoster, is a communicable disease usually affecting immunocompromised individuals and older adults. The disease produces small crusty pustules on the lower back and trunk. The description of the lesions doesn't fit those produced by an allergic reaction.



      I hadn't known about coining at all, so I searched the image of the coining on Internet. It looks very painful. If I didn't know coining, I would think this wired lesion was made by child abuse...  I was glad to know that before I am embarrassed by my misinterpretation.

     Coining, is also called coin rubbing and Cao Gio, is considered as alternative medicine for relieving pain, cold, chill, and so on among the Southeast Asians.




     Alternative medicine is less popular in Japan. Japanese people prefer Western medicine, so people usually go to the hospital when they are sick. However, some people in other countries, especially some Asian countries, believe that Eastern medicine is also effective. I have never tried acupuncture, but all my Korean friends have tried it before. They told me that acupuncture relieves many symptoms, such as pain and cold.
      Because many varieties of people are living in the U.S., I need to know many alternative medicines which I haven't known before in order to get nursing license. I have realized that registered nurse is required to have extensive knowledge about medicines, cultures, religions, and law. As I studied for NCLEX, I thought getting license of registered nurse is not easy at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment