Monday, January 16, 2012

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

Today is Martin Luther King, Jr Day.

When I was in middle school, I learned about his speech "I have a dream".



"I still have a dream.
It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed : "We hold these truths to be self evident : that all men are created equal."
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by their contents of their character. I have a dream today!"
"I have a dream that one day down in Alabama, with its governor having his lips dripping with the worlds of the interposition ; one day right down in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers. I have a dream today!"





 Today's Vocabulary
・ nation : noun / 国家、国民
  ex) nation with valuable resources : 貴重な資源がある国
・ rise up : phrasal verb / 立ち上がる、奮起する
  ex) People rose up against the dictator. 人々は独裁者に対して立ち上がった。
・ creed : noun / 信念、モットー
・ self-evident : adjective / 分かりきった、自明の(理である)
  ex) That's self-evident. : それは自ら明らかだった。
・ interposition : noun / 介入、干渉
・ join hands with : ~と手を組む、~と力を合わせる

No comments:

Post a Comment