Tuesday, September 14, 2021

How to Cook Japanese Rice without a Rice Cooker

 

      As you might know, rice is the staple food of Japan, and Japanese people eat rice daily. That's why almost every Japanese home has a rice cooker. Indeed, Japan has the best rice cookers in the world. Some high-end Japanese rice cookers, which are around 100,000 yen (are equivalent to about $1,000), have been more and more popular in Japan these years because those make really perfect rice. Many people in Japan think that expensive rice cookers are really worth it to improve their everyday life.


      Indeed, I was thinking about buying a high-end rice cooker in Japan when I had a chance to visit there, but I cook rice without a rice cooker now. Years ago, I never thought that I could live without a rice cooker! When my rice cooker broke a few years ago, I decided to cook rice on the stove, and I was surprised that it was pretty easy and saves my kitchen space. Today, I'm going to share with you how I cook rice on the stove.

 

My Family's Rice Field in Japan

 

How I Store Uncooked Rice

     You can store rice in room temperature, but I store rice in a refrigerator to keep rice fresh longer. The main reason why I store rice there is to prevent bugs in rice.   

I put rice and rice cup in the Ziploc and store them in a refrigerator.


How I Store Cooked Rice

      I always cook large amount of rice at a time. As soon as I cook the rice, I wrap them and store them in a freezer. When I want to eat rice, I just microwave one serving of frozen cooked rice for two and half minutes. It really save my time. 😉

I cook large amount of rice and enjoy later.

When I cook torimeshi, I also store them in the freezer.


Water to White Rice Ratio

"200 ml of Water to 1 Rice Measuring Cup of White Rice"

I usually cook 7 rice measuring cups of rice, and use 1,400 ml of water. I use the largest Pyrex measuring cup to measure water.


 




How to Cook Rice on the Stove

How to Cook Rice on the Stove


What You'll Need

7 Rice Measuring Cups of White Rice 

1,400 ml of Water

I also use large strainer with bowl and a 5-qt pot. 



1. Rinse the Rice.

    Put the rice in large strainer with bowl, and pour water to it. Stir the rice in the water several times. Then drain. Repeat this step 5 times or so. 



2. Soak the Rice.

     Put the rice in the large pot, and add water. Let the rice soak in water for 30 minutes to over night. I usually soak the rice in water for one hour or so.


 

 

3. Cook the Rice.

      Cover the lid, and heat the pan over high heat. When the water starts boiling, reduce the heat to medium high. Cook it for 8 to 10 minutes until the water has been absorbed almost completely. Turn off the heat and wait for another 10 minutes, covered.




4. Stir and Serve.

     Take off the lid. Stir the rice lightly with using a rice paddle.


    Serve and enjoy!




 

      These are also my entries you might like.

■Top 5 Most Popular Japanese Curry Sauce Mix 

■How to Cook Tori Meshi - Savory Japanese Rice with Chicken and Gobo

■How to Boost Your Immune System - 6 Foods That Can Boost Your Immune System

■Top 3 My Favorite Ramen From Marutai Kyushu Ramen Series

■How to Cook Omurice, a Japanese Omelette Stuffed with Rice (Cook Like a Pro!)

■How to Cook Chicken Tortilla Soup

■How to Make An Easy Egg Toast (Japanese Sliced Bread + Japanese Mayonnaise = Deliciousness)
  
■Don Quijote (Donki) Haul - What He Got in Japan

■What He Got at Drugstore in Japan - Haul

■Top 10 Products You Should Buy at Japanese Supermarkets (for Beginners!)

■My Top 15 Must Eat Foods in Japan - My Favorite Japanese Foods

■How to Make Japanese Deep Fried Chicken, Kara-Age

■How to Cook Miso Soup

■8 Interesting Japanese Kitchen Gadgets!



    My entries related to cooking can be seen here.

    My entries related to my favorite recipes can be seen here.

    My entries related to foods my husband cooked can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japanese noodles can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan Haul can be seen here.
 

    My entries related to Best Japanese Beauty Products can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan can be seen here


    ★You can find my recipe entries through my Pinterest.



No comments:

Post a Comment