Saturday, January 5, 2019

Traditional Japanese foods for New Year's Holidays

         New Year's holidays, which are called oshogatsu (お正月) in Japan, are the most important holidays for Japanese people.

Traditional Japanese Food for New Year's Eve
         It's a Japanese traditional that osoji (大掃除), big cleaning, is done in late December before the New Year comes. Then, on New Year's Eve, it's a Japanese traditional to eat soba noodles, which are called toshikoshi soba (年越しそば, 年越し蕎麦).
Toshikoshi Soba (年越し蕎麦)
       In 2017, my husband and I had toshikoshi soba at Nakau restaurant (なか卯) in Japan and also had instant soba noodles which the hotel we stayed in Tokyo served. This New Year's Eve, we stayed at home in the U.S. We purchased frozen soba noodles at a Japanese supermarket, and he cooked toshikoshi soba. :)  If you would like to try making soba noodle, you can check my previous entry, How To Make Toshikoshi Soba. (By the way, you can use any type of soba noodles such as frozen, dried and raw noodles.)



Traditional Japanese Foods for New Year
       Japanese New Year (Shogatsu) runs January 1 through January 7 (O-shogatsu, 大正月) or January 15 (Ko-shogatsu, 小正月). Specially, January 1 through January 3 is called sanganichi (三が日), and people visit shrines and meet families and relatives for the first time in the year and enjoy Japanese traditional New Year's foods.


   Zoni (雑煮), Mochi Soup
       During New Year's holiday, it's a Japanese traditional to eat mochi. Specially, mochi soup which is called zoni (雑煮) or ozoni (お雑煮) is commonly eaten in Japan during New Year's holiday.   
Zoni, 雑煮
      This year, I cooked this zoni for New Year's soup. I'll share how to make zoni with you next time. :) When I was a child in Japan, my grandmother used to make large quantity of mochi (She used to make about 1,000 pieces of mochi in late December every year.) and our families enjoyed zoni and mochi dishes during New Year's holiday. Now, you can find mochi at most supermarkets in Japan in winter. In the U.S., you can also find mochi at most Japanese supermarkets around this time of the year.





 ■Osechi (おせち, おせち料理) 
        Osechi (おせち), Osechi Ryori (おせち料理), are a traditional Japanese New Year's foods. Osechi is a collection of lucky foods. When I was a child, my families had these foods listed below on January 1. I remembered that large boxes of salty kazunoko (数の子), herring roes, were in a refrigerator in our kitchen during New Year's holiday. My mother and grandmother cooked a large quantity of osechi dishes on December 31 for New Year's meals.

Osechi Dishes (New Year's Lucky Foods)
・kuromame (黒豆) : sweetened black beans
・kazunoko (数の子) : herring roes
・tazukuri (たづくり), gomame (ごまめ) : dried Japanese anchovy
・tataki gobo (たたきごぼう) : burdock root dish
・kamaboko (かまぼこ, 蒲鉾) : fish cake
・datemaki (伊達巻) : egg and fish cake
・dashimaki tamago (だし巻き卵) : Japanese omelette
・kurikinton (栗きんとん, 栗金団) : sweetened chestnut with sweet potato paste
・ebi no yakimono (海老の焼き物) : grilled shrimps
・tai no yakimono (鯛の焼き物) : grilled red sea bream
・kouhaku namasu (紅白なます) : vinegared Japanese radish and carrot
・kombumaki (昆布巻き), kobumaki (こぶまき) : simmered herring wrapped with kelp, kombu
・nishime (煮しめ) : simmered vegetables and konnyaku
Chikuzenni, 筑前煮
      New Year's foods are usually pretty expensive in Japan such as kazunoko. In the U.S., it's obviously even more expensive. That's why I only made osechi with affordable ingredients. ;)  This year, I cooked chikuzenni (筑前煮), nishime (煮しめ), as one of osechi dishes. You can check out how to cook chikuzenni in my previous entry.

Dashimaki Tamago, だし巻き卵
     I also cooked dashimaki tamago (だし巻き卵), Japanese omelette, as a osechi dish. Dashimaki tamago is a type of tamagoyaki. While regular tamagoyaki is made of egg and seasoning, dashimaki tamago is made of egg, seasoning and Japanese soup stock called dashi. I will write how to cook dashimaki tamago next time. ;)




       These are also my entries you might like.
■How to Cook Miso Soup

■How to Cook Wafu Hoi-Ko-Ro - Stir-Fried Pork and Vegetable with Red Miso Sauce

■How to Make Warabimochi with Microwave Oven

■How to Cook Easy Teriyaki Chicken

■How to Make Japanese Deep Fried Chicken, Kara-Age

■How to Make Nitamago, Japanese Ramen Eggs

■How to Cook Naporitan, Japanese Pasta Dish

■How to Cook Japanese Curry

■What I Bought at Japanese Supermarkets

■Top 10 Products You Should Buy at Japanese Supermarkets (for Beginners!)

■Don Quijote (Donki) Haul - What He Got in Japan

■8 Interesting Japanese Kitchen Gadgets!

■Top 10 Most Popular Japanese Foods 


    My entries related to cooking can be seen here.

    My entries related to my favorite recipes can be seen here.

    My entries related to foods my husband cooked can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japanese instant ramen can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japanese noodles can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan Haul can be seen here.
 

    My entries related to Best Japanese Beauty Products can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan can be seen here


    ★You can find my recipe entries through my Pinterest.


No comments:

Post a Comment