Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Photo ID for Cold Medicine

       Today, I went to RiteAid to buy cold medicine. When I purchased it, I was required to swipe my ID. I had never been asked my ID for purchasing cold medicine before, so I was pretty surprised about that. According to FDA, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the sale of cold medicine containing pseudoephedrine is limited to behind the counter. The amount of pseudoephedrine that an individual can purchase each month is limited and individuals are required to present photo identification to purchase products containing pseudoephedrine. In addition, stores are required to keep personal information about purchasers for at least two years. Pseudoephedrine is a drug found in both prescription and over-the-counter products used to relieve nasal or sinus congestion caused by the common cold, sinusitis, hay fever, and other respiratory allergies. It can also be used illegally to produce methamphetamine. My cold medicine doesn't contain pseudoephedrine but does phenylephrine, which is marketed as an alternative for the decongestant pseudoephedrine.

        
       

No comments:

Post a Comment