Saturday, September 20, 2014

Menudo - Mexican Soup

      Today, my husband and I went to Mexican supermarket, EL Super, and decided to get something we could eat for dinner at the deli section.
      At the deli section, the staff spoke in only Spanish. We ordered their Carne Asada Burrito in English, but she told us in Spanish. We were confused a little at first but understood her gesture. I guessed that she was trying to say that it was sold out. Anyway, we eventually ordered their Carnitas Burrito, which is my husband's favorite, for $4.47.

      I asked him that I wanted to try their soup because we had a great experience with Mexican soup which was chicken tortilla soup at Mexican restaurant last month, so I thought that Mexican food never disappoints me. I asked her if they had something soup, and I guessed that she said that it was something "noodle soup." It sounded good, so I ordered it anyway. When she was ladling soup into a cup, I saw honeycomb tripe in the soup. Frankly, I don't like honeycomb tripe at all but thought it would be okay because he likes it.

       I was really looking forward to trying new soup. When we opened the cup at home, we immediately noticed its nasty smell. We heat it up anyway before eat.
Menudo - Mexican Soup

      We didn't know how to eat the soup, so I looked it up on Internet and found out that this soup is called Menudo. It sounds like "noodle," is it? We served it in bowl and added onion, cilantro and lime juice.
Menudo - Mexican Soup
        I held my breath and tasted it. It was good and bad. Its taste was not too bad, but the horrible smell didn't disappear even though I added enough lime juice. It was kind of nightmare. Our room was filling with terrible nasty smell. I had thought that my husband liked honeycomb tripe, but he gave it up after the first sip. We didn't like it unfortunately. We wish we could like it though.

       However, their Carnitas Burrito was as good as we expected. :)

Carnitas Burrito

        My entries related to Mexican Supermarket can be seen here.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/Mexican%20Supermarket





No comments:

Post a Comment