Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Health Adviser

As soon as I came into class this morning, my Japanese classmate asked me for advice about her husband's health condition because she knows I was a nurse in Japan. After her husband came back to the U.S. from Japan, he felt a chill and shivered. Soon after, he experienced high fever and threw up. Then, he has had persistent diarrhea. He told her that he had blood in stool. They went to doctor's office, and a doctor instructed him to go to an emergency hospital. He needed to stay the hospital for a few days and underwent a colonoscope. Because of diarrhea, he was given intravenously fluid and antidiarrheal during hospitalization. She thought that he became weak, and she was confused what she needs to do for him. I advised her that I assumed that he could have come down with stomach flu or norovirus because high fever, vomiting and diarrhea are typical symptoms of these. However, I thought blood in stool might be symptom of colon or stomach problem. I couldn't get information of the color of the blood and the amount. However, he has already taken a colonoscope, so the result will become apparent within few days. I advised her that she should take care of him as stomach infection person until the result appears. He shouldn't take antidiarrheal without doctor's instruction. He should drink a plenty of water and rest. They should wash their hands to prevent transmission of it in household. She was relived to hear my advice. She told me that people needs health advisers like me just in case.





   Today's Vocabulary
・ feel a chill and shivered :  寒気がして体が震える
・ have persistent diarrhea : 下痢が続いている
given fluids intravenously : 《be ~》〔主語に〕点滴で水分(を)補給する
・ come down with : phrasal verb / 
  1. 〔病気に〕かかる、〔病気で〕倒れる
    ・I feel like I am coming down with a cold. : どうやら私は風邪をひきかけているらしい。
    ・I think I'm coming down with the flu. : インフルエンザになりかかっているようだ。
  2. 〔金を〕出す、寄付する、支払う

No comments:

Post a Comment