Wednesday, August 22, 2018

How to Cook Goya Chanpuru, Stir-fried Bitter Melon with Eggs

       Last weekend, I cooked this goya chanpuru, champuru, for dinner. Goya chanpuru (ゴーヤ チャンプルー) is stir-fried bitter melon with eggs and is a popular Japanese summer dish originates from Okinawa prefecture (沖縄県), the southernmost prefecture of Japan.  

What is goya?
       Bitter melon is called goya (ゴーヤ) or nigauri (ニガウリ) in Japan. As its name, it tastes bitter indeed. My grandmother used to cook goya chanpuru in summer because goya is summer vegetable, but when I was a child, I didn't really like its bitter taste. However, as I grew older, it became one of my favorite Japanese dishes. It's so delicious! ;) Why does goya taste bitter? It's because goya has momordicin, which has so many health benefits such as improving liver function, managing blood sugar level and blood pressure. It is also rich in vitamins, iron and calcium.   Did you know that it's very hot and humidity in summer in Japan? Summer heat makes you tired and causes a loss of appetite. That's why people in Japan want to eat nutritious foods to maintain their health during hot days. You can eat delicious goya champuru to stay healthy in summer. ;)







Varieties of Bitter Melon
     You can use any varieties of bitter melon to cook goya chanpuru.

Japanese Bitter Melons
Japanese Bitter Melons, Goya
      Japanese bitter melons are 20-50cm (7 to 19 inches) long and is dark green with a bumpy surface. It's very hard to find Japanese ones in the U.S., but if you are in Japan, you can find ones at most supermarkets in summer. By the way, some people in Japan grow Japanese bitter melon to make  natural blind (It's called goya green curtain) in their balcony (or right next to their house or building). The outdoor balcony shade made from natural goya leaves reduces heat during hot summer, and you can harvest plenty of goya from your goya green curtain. ;)




Indian Bitter Melons
Indian Bitter Melons
     Indian variety looks similar to Japanese one but is much shorter. Indian bitter melons are 6-10cm (2.5 to 4 inches) long.



Chinese Bitter Melons
Chinese Bitter Melons
     Chinese variety didn't look like a bitter melon to me at first. Chinese better melons are lighter green and have smooth warty surface. They are 20-30cm (8 to 12 inches) long. When I first had Chinese one, I was surprised that it tasted very similar to Japanese bitter melon. In the U.S., you can find Chinese bitter melons at most Asian supermarkets. That's why I usually use Chinese ones to make goya chanpuru.  



How to Cook Goya Chanpuru

Ingredients (Four Servings)
1 Tablespoon of Sesame Oil
1/2 Pound of Pork (I used thinly sliced pork, but you can use any pork.)
2 Bitter Melons (Sliced)
3 Tablespoon of Miso Paste
3 Tablespoon of Ground Sesame Seeds (Optional)

3 Tablespoon of Mirin
1/2 Teaspoon of Sugar

1 Teaspoon of Soy Sauce
1 Teaspoon of Hondashi

3 Tablespoon of Sesame Oil (for step two)
3 Eggs (Beaten)






1. Heat sesame oil and pork in pan over high heat. Stir-fry meat until it is thoroughly cooked. Then, add bitter melons. Stir-fry them for 5 minutes.





2. Turn off the heat. Add mixture of  miso, sesame seeds, mirin, sugar, soy sauce, hondashi and sesame oil. Stir them thoroughly.






3. Heat them over medium heat. Add beaten egg and stir it in. 





4. Serve and enjoy!



       These are also my entries you might like.
■How to Cook Miso Soup

■How to Cook Wafu Hoi-Ko-Ro - Stir-Fried Pork and Vegetable with Red Miso Sauce

■How to Make Warabimochi with Microwave Oven

■How to Cook Easy Teriyaki Chicken

■How to Make Japanese Deep Fried Chicken, Kara-Age

■How to Make Nitamago, Japanese Ramen Eggs

■How to Cook Naporitan, Japanese Pasta Dish

■How to Cook Japanese Curry

■What I Bought at Japanese Supermarkets

■Top 10 Products You Should Buy at Japanese Supermarkets (for Beginners!)

■Don Quijote (Donki) Haul - What He Got in Japan

■8 Interesting Japanese Kitchen Gadgets!

■Top 10 Most Popular Japanese Foods 


    My entries related to cooking can be seen here.

    My entries related to my favorite recipes can be seen here.

    My entries related to foods my husband cooked can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japanese instant ramen can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japanese noodles can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan Haul can be seen here.
 

    My entries related to Best Japanese Beauty Products can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan can be seen here


    ★You can find my recipe entries through my Pinterest.


2 comments:

  1. I tried this recipe today and it turned out so delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe :) I love your blog btw, especially your cosmetic reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad that you tried this recipe! :)

      Delete