Thursday, April 12, 2012

I Felt a Culture Shock

After having Thursday conversation session for two hours and a half, I usually study for NCLEX textbook at the same cafe. Today, I studied for almost three hours. So, I stayed at the cafe for five hours and a half. Haha. But I was able to finish another chapter for the textbook. Yay! I think I'm doing pretty well. :) I have to get started on the next chapter today.

After I got home, I opened my new heavy textbook which I mentioned before. I just took a look at it, but I was already surprised. I saw an illustration in beginning of the textbook. The illustration shows a nurse holding an elderly patient. I was surprised that the nurse had long finger nails with red nail polish. She was also wearing earrings, which were not small. In Japan, having long finger nails and nail polish are not appropriate for nurses. As I mentioned before, wearing earrings are also not allowed. These are prohibited by hospital policy. When I saw the illustration, I felt a culture shock between U.S. and Japan.
Now, I enjoy wearing nail polish because I'm just student! :D When I was a nurse in Japan, I painted only toenails. Before today, I used to think that I would have to quit wearing nail polish when I started working as a nurse. I am not sure whether I will be allowed to wear nail polish, but working as a nurse requires washing of your hands repeatedly. I think it's difficult to keep your nails without having them chip away.






 Today's Vocabulary
・ toenail : noun / 足の爪
・ repeatedly : adverb / 繰り返し、たびたび
・ chip away : phrasal verb / 少しずつはがれる(欠ける)

No comments:

Post a Comment