Thursday, March 19, 2020

Coronavirus Panic Buying Hits California!

     Last weekend, my husband and I went grocery shopping just like we always do on weekend, but we noticed that things are different now because of COVID-19. I thought that people have been stocking up toilet paper and water to cope with coronavirus fears. However, this Tuesday, Orange County announced that Orange County bans all gatherings of people outside home. The order of the local health officer states, "All public and private gatherings of any number of people, including at places of work, occurring outside a single household or living unit are prohibited." Yet, it has a long list of exemptions, and people are allowed to go grocery shopping. I didn't expect that it would be really happening in my local area.

     Anyway, Today, I'm going to share my weekend grocery shopping with you.


Costco
      My husband and I go shopping at Costco almost every weekend. Last weekend, we were surprised that there was a long line to enter my local Costco, and at the entrance, Costco employees shouted out, "We were sold out of toilet paper and water!" 
      Oh no, It's COVID-19 panic-buying! I thought that we should skip shopping at Costco this time, but it seemed that the line was moving smoothly, and I really wanted to purchase Polar Black Garlic there. We just had to wait for three minutes or so to enter the store. Despite the long line, it actually wasn't very crowded inside store. It was a little less crowded than normal weekend. Because of COVID-19, Costco is controlling the number of customers in the store. Unlike usual weekends, very few people were looking at clothing and home goods, and most people were buying foods especially canned foods, pasta and etc. The Costco cashier was saying, "The problem is people are hoarding now."  
Costco Haul
      For now, my husband and I don't need to stock up toilet paper nor bottled water. I basically buy toilet paper in bulk only when it's on sale because paper products are pretty expensive in the U.S., so I still have plenty of it in my home, and we don't usually drink bottled water (We drink filtered water from our refrigerator.) I believe that Coronavirus outbreak won't disrupt power, water and internet, so we don't need to be worried too much. The photo above was what I purchased at Costco that day. I was glad that they still had plenty of Polar Black Garlic, and I could buy one. 😃 You can check my previous entry, Costco Haul - Polar Black Garlic Cured Super Food.



Japanese Supermarket
We found empty shelves for rice at a Japanese supermarket!
     Then, we went to a Japanese supermarket because I wanted to purchase natto (納豆). At the store, water and rice were all sold out. We saw the empty shelves for rice at a Japanese supermarket for the first time in the U.S. 😦  We saw a few Asian people wearing masks there. (By the way, nobody was wearing a mask at Costco.)
Japanese Supermarket Haul
       These were what I purchased at the Japanese supermarket. They still had plenty of natto there.
😋
There were plenty of natto at a Japanese supermarket!


     Next time, I'll write how to boost immune system.





     These are my entries you might like.
What I Bought at Japanese Supermarkets

Costco Haul - Polar Black Garlic Cured Super Food

Trader Joe's Japanese Aomori Black Garlic

Japanese Aomori Black Garlic

How I Make Black Garlic at Home

Costco Haul - the Big Island, Hawaii

What Do They Sell at Costco on the Big Island, Hawaii? - 12 Kinds of Unique Products!

COSTCO in Japan

10 Products I Purchased at Costco in Japan

What Do They Sell at Costco Business Center? (My Costco Haul)

Costco Haul - Tiger That Tempura Shrimp

Starbucks Winter Blend Melange D'Hiver 2017 at Costco

Starbucks Arizona Double Wall Traveler and Cold Cup

7 Best Japanese Beauty Products Hall of Fame



     My entries related to Costco can be seen here.

     My entries related to Starbucks can be seen here.

     My entries related to Best Japanese Beauty Products can be seen here.
 

     My entries related to Japan can be seen here.

     My entries related to beauty can be seen here.

     My entries related to Japan Haul can be seen here.

     You can find my beauty entries by categories from here.




No comments:

Post a Comment