Thursday, June 8, 2023

【Hike】Back Bay Loop Trail in Newport Beach

 

     In April 2023, my husband and I hiked at Back Bay Loop Trail in Newport Beach.  Actually, we had visited this trail in winter before. However, I thought that I should go to this area again because while I was browsing on AllTrails App, I found that many people posted photos of wildflowers on Back Bay Loop Trail page. Indeed, we really enjoyed seeing California spring blooms during this hike after the winter rains.

 

Tips for Walking on Back Bay Loop Trail.
・Apply sunscreen on entire body.
・Wear sunglasses and hat with high UPF.
・Drink water often.
・You can bring your dog.
・It's easy trails.

 

My Back Bay Loop Trail Walking Summary (UA MapMyWalk App)

 

My Back Bay Loop Trail Walking Summary (UA MapMyWalk App)

     When I go hiking, I use Under Armour MapMyWalk App to track my walk. 

My Back Bay Loop Trail Walking Summary (UA MapMyWalk App)


       Last year, I also started using AllTrails App. It's easy to use and helped me to not get lost. In addition, it's easy to find new hiking trails and save your activities on AllTrails App. If you love hiking, you should try this app. It makes your hiking more enjoyable.

My Back Bay Loop Trail Walking Summary (AllTrails App)


Parking

      We parked along the street, N University Dr, which is close to Peter and Mary Muth Interpretive Center, which also has parking lot for free but is usually busy on weekends. By the way, in our previous hike, we had parked along the street, Bayview Way. 

N University Dr


Peter and Mary Muth Interpretive Center

Peter and Mary Muth Interpretive Center

2301 University Dr
Newport Beach, CA 92660
U.S.A. 
 
Hours
Tuesday through Sunday : 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. 
 
Parking Lot
7 a.m. to Sunset 
 
Restroom
Everyday : 6:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
 
Peter and Mary Muth Interpretive Center

Peter and Mary Muth Interpretive Center

       During this hike, we stopped by Peter and Mary Muth Interpretive Center. It was very educational and interesting.

Peter and Mary Muth Interpretive Center

Peter and Mary Muth Interpretive Center




Back Bay Loop Trail

Back Bay Loop Trail

       After parking along the street, N University Dr, we started walking on Back Bay Loop Trail.

Coyote Aware

Back Bay Loop Trail


Back Bay Loop Trail

      There were a lot of yellow wildflowers blooming along the side of the trail.

The Path to Peter and Mary Muth Interpretive Center



Upper Newport Bay

      The entire hills were covered by yellow wildflowers.

       I was able to see many kinds of birds during this hike.


The View from the Observation Deck on the Roof of Peter and Mary Muth Interpretive Center

       The observation deck on the roof gave amazing views of Upper Newport Bay Nature Preserve.

Peter and Mary Muth Interpretive Center




American Coots




      The views of Upper Newport Bay Nature Preserve from the trail was stunning.














Hummingbird








       This time, we went half mile further up to the end of the loop.












      Some trails were still muddy.





Turkey Vulture

        There were turkey vultures circling in the sky.

Turkey Vulture

      We were able to see snow capped mountains from the trail in April.





Southwest Airline

       We often saw planes flying overhead. John Wayne Airport is three miles away from this area. 

American Airline

       After living in the U.S. for many years, I can eventually identify what planes in the sky in Orange County. When I see planes flying overhead, I says, "That's American Airline."  "That's Southwest."  "That's United Airline." 😁  I think that the most frequently seen planes in Orange County are Southwest Airline.

Southwest Airline

United Airline

        Because of wildflowers blooming, we really enjoyed beautiful spring views from the trail. Next time, I would also like to walk the Eastbluff area, the east side of the Upper Newport Bay.


         If you like Orange County hikes, you can check out my previous entries related to hike I tried from the book, 50 Hikes in Orange County.

1. San Gabriel River to Turtle Overlook (Long Beach/Seal Beach)

2. Dana Point Headlands (Dana Point)

3. Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve (Huntington Beach)

4. Bayview Trail (Newport Beach)

5. Crystal Cove Tide Pools (Newport Beach)

6. Aliso Peak (Laguna Niguel)

7. Pecten Reef Loop (Aliso Viejo)

8. Bommer Canyon (Irvine)

9. Laurel Loop (Laguna Beach) 

10. Mariposa Trail Loop (Laguna Beach)

11. Little Sycamore Canyon Loop (Laguna Beach)

12. San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary (Irvine)

13. Wood Canyon Trail (Aliso Viejo)

14. San Onofre State Beach (San Clemente / Oceanside)

15. Guna Peak (Laguna Beach) 

16. Oak Canyon Nature Center (Anaheim)

17. Horseshoe Loop at Irvine Regional Park (Orange)


     There are my entries related to my hikes I found on AllTrails App.

1. San Clemente Beach Coastal Trail (San Clemente)

2. Talbert Regional Park and Fairview Park (Costa Mesa))

3. Turtle Rock and French Hill Loop (Irvine) 

4. Back Bay Loop Trail (Newport Beach)

 

      These are my entries you might like.
■Walking Along Shoreline in Long Beach, Los Angeles CA (October 2019)

■Dana Point Headlands - Dana Point, CA (September 2019)

■San Clemente Beach Coastal Trail - Hiking Trail Next to The Railroads (September 2022)

■Quail Hill Loop Trail in Irvine, CA (April 2019) 

■La Jolla Cove in San Diego (March 2019) 

■San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary in Irvine (February 2019)

■Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve in Huntington Beach (January 2019)

■Swimming with Wild Dolphins (Big Island, Hawaii, January 2015)

■Dolphin Watching in Dana Point (July 2017)

■Our Whale Watching Trip (Dana Point, August 2013)

■San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary in Irvine (March 2017)

■La Jolla Cove - Beautiful Spring Wildflowers and Wild Animals (2018)


       My entries related to wild animals can be seen here.

       My entries related to Orange County Hikes can be seen here.

       My entries related to sunset can be seen here.

       My entries related to hiking and walking can be seen here.



No comments:

Post a Comment