Thursday, May 11, 2023

The Orange County Zoo - You Can See A Monutain Lion and Many Animals

 

      As I mentioned in my previous entry, my husband and I visited Irvine Regional Park to hike Horseshoe Loop Trail, and we stopped by the OC Zoo, Orange County Zoo, which has many animals who are injured or not releasable into the wild. Most animals here are native to the southwestern United States such as a mountain lion.

Orange County Zoo in Irvine Regional Park
1 Irvine Park Rd
Orange, CA 92869


Admission Fee : $2 per person ages 3 years and over; Ages 2 years and under are free

Irvine Regional Park Parking Fee : $3 per vehicle weekdays and $5 per vehicle weekends


OC Zoo
         I was surprised that the admission fee was only $2! This zoo is not huge, but you can see a lot of animals.

     When we were there, zookeepers were taking the cute white and black goat to a walk and people were enjoying to see and touch the goat. Some zookeepers were also showing a little snake, and we were able to touch to the skin. I thought that the skin of the snake felt like a braided hose.




Chuckwalla

         There were many kinds of lizards we can see.

Chuckwalla

San Esteban Island Chuckwalla



Mountain Lion

        One of the reasons why I wanted to stop by the OC Zoo was that we wanted to see a mountain lion. In Orange County, many wildness areas have mountain lion warning signs. That's why when we hike, we always think that we might encounter a mountain lion.

Mountain Lion

Mountain Lion

        A mountain lion is the only animal I don't want to encounter while hiking. She usually preys deer but is capable of hunting any animals including us. If you encounter a mountain lion, the most important thing you need to know is "Do not run." In the U.S., a mountain lion attacks a bicyclist once in years. I think that because a mountain lion belongs to the cat family, she cannot resist chasing something moving fast.   

 

 


Bobcat

         Bobcats are also rarely seen in Orange County. I've heard that my husband's friend saw a bobcat while fishing in Orange County. When I hiked around the Barbara's Lake, there was a notice to protect the bobcat habitat. In OC Zoo, this bobcat is living twice longer than wild bobcats.



Ocelot

      Ocelots are only seen in Texas and South America.

 

Sulcata Tortoise

        Sulcata Tortoise is from Africa, and the lifespan is about 50 to 150 years.


Petting Zoo
     There is an area you can touch some animals such as goats and sheep. You can purchase grains there and can feed them.


Jacob Sheep

Domestic Goat


Bald Eagle

       A Bald Eagle is the national bird of the U.S. 


Golden Eagle

       A Golden Eagle is the national emblem of Mexico.

 

Barn Owl

       Barn Owls are one of common Orange County birds of prey.

 

Great Horned Owl

        If you hear hooting sound, it's voice of Great Horned Owl.


Serval

       Serval Cat is from Africa. 


Beaver

Prairie Dog




Black Bear
         There was a black bear moving continuously.


       In California, there are black bears in forests. We are planning on visiting Yosemite National Park, and it's said that there are 300 to 500 black bears live in Yosemite. I definitely should know what to do if I encounter black bears before going there.


North American Porcupine

        I didn't know that you can see porcupines in California.

 

Turkey Vulture

       In Orange County, I often see turkey vultures circling in the sky.


 

 

Black Panther

        I didn't know that a black panther is actually melanistic jaguar or leopard and is incredibly rare.



Peacock


Mountain Lion

      I was glad that we were able to see a mountain lion there, and hopefully I will not encounter mountain lions in the wild in Orange County. I learned a lot from OC Zoo. I didn't know that there are more of wild animals I could possibly see in California.



         If you like Orange County hikes, you can check out my previous entries related to hike I tried from the book, 50 Hikes in Orange County.

1. San Gabriel River to Turtle Overlook (Long Beach/Seal Beach)

2. Dana Point Headlands (Dana Point)

3. Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve (Huntington Beach)

4. Bayview Trail (Newport Beach)

5. Crystal Cove Tide Pools (Newport Beach)

6. Aliso Peak (Laguna Niguel)

7. Pecten Reef Loop (Aliso Viejo)

8. Bommer Canyon (Irvine)

9. Laurel Loop (Laguna Beach) 

10. Mariposa Trail Loop (Laguna Beach)

11. Little Sycamore Canyon Loop (Laguna Beach)

12. San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary (Irvine)

13. Wood Canyon Trail (Aliso Viejo)

14. San Onofre State Beach (San Clemente / Oceanside)

15. Guna Peak (Laguna Beach) 

16. Oak Canyon Nature Center (Anaheim)


      These are my entries you might like.
■Walking Along Shoreline in Long Beach, Los Angeles CA (October 2019)

■Dana Point Headlands - Dana Point, CA (September 2019)

■San Clemente Beach Coastal Trail - Hiking Trail Next to The Railroads (September 2022)

■Quail Hill Loop Trail in Irvine, CA (April 2019) 

■La Jolla Cove in San Diego (March 2019) 

■San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary in Irvine (February 2019)

■Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve in Huntington Beach (January 2019)

■Swimming with Wild Dolphins (Big Island, Hawaii, January 2015)

■Dolphin Watching in Dana Point (July 2017)

■Our Whale Watching Trip (Dana Point, August 2013)

■San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary in Irvine (March 2017)

■La Jolla Cove - Beautiful Spring Wildflowers and Wild Animals (2018)


       My entries related to wild animals can be seen here.

       My entries related to Orange County Hikes can be seen here.

       My entries related to sunset can be seen here.

       My entries related to hiking and walking can be seen here.



No comments:

Post a Comment